Monday, September 29, 2008

I Spent 6 weeks on a show and all I got was this lousy cold

So I have finally caught the plague that afflicted 2/3rds of the Marisol cast. Actually, now that I am sick it afflicted 5/6ths. Only Bastion escaped it. I guess it's fortunate that I caught it AFTER we closed, so I don't have to take to the stage feeling miserable, losing my voice and with a really sore throat. Now that I'm sick, I think I may not have been as sympathetic as I should have been to my fellow actors when they were suffering. I do feel pretty damn bad. Luckily, for the most part, Stella is being very understanding. She doesn't throw too big of a fit when I suggest coloring or play-doh instead of reading a book.

So it was bittersweet to close Marisol yesterday. I think if we'd had one more week, we could have really knocked it out of the park. Every night it was getting leaner and tighter and we were all discovering new things about our characters and what they had to say. I think that probably yesterday's audience got the best performance. They were also a great audience, laughing and really enjoying themselves. I'm really glad we had them after Saturday's audience, who I think might have been on life support. Everyone I talked to said they enjoyed it, but during the performance there was nary a giggle and you just didn't feel the energy you usually feel from an audience. I let it affect my performance, which I'm not proud of, and had a few flubs. Although, once again, everyone I knew who came said they didn't notice. On the other hand, I am ready to go back to regular life. I missed Stella and Tim and they've missed me, Stella especially. So I'm ready to be home most nights again to help put her to bed and to eat dinner as a family. And I'd be fine with no more fast food for a month!

No comments: