Thursday, July 03, 2008

Sweet!

On the way home from Houston Sunday, Tim decided to go 55 or 65 to see how it improved gas mileage. At the time I was a bit annoyed because I thought it was "adding time to our trip". I got gas today and I am pleased to say that we got 30.1 miles to the gallon on this last tank. Whoo-hoo for highway driving!

Oh and it's raining. I'm glad because we need it so badly, but not so happy because I'm about to have to go out in it to take Stella to her Baba's and pick Tim up from work. Across town.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Cool! I find that to be true when I was drive long distances. I drive 60-65, though, so I'd do even better if I went slower, but I would get thrown off I45 if I did that.

It also helped me to do the math on just how much longer it makes the trip. I can usually suck it up for 15 more minutes or something like that. Of course, I don't have a toddler in my car who might decided to wail, so I judge not.

Oh, and then there's the deferred adjudication. That slowed my ass down a lot. My wallet thanks me.

Anonymous said...

I actually simply went the speed limit. So when the speed limit was 70 I went 70... :p

A lot of people recommend just going the speed limit as every mile you go over 55 you use exponentially more gas. 55 is pretty much optimum for most cars (which is why it used to be the max speed limit).

However, on the trip back from Houston, to my knowledge, I only went 55 twice. In the two speed trap towns that require it.