Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Two-Way Communication is Weird


In the past, I've always asked Stella questions, but they were really sort of rhetorical. Like, I'd ask, "Do you want to go upstairs?" and then just take her upstairs because it's not like she would answer me. But yesterday, she started answering me! I wanted to give her cheese for her snack, but we only had cheddar and she'd never had yellow cheese before (other than on cheeseburgers when we're out). I asked her if she liked it and she took it, put it in her mouth, cocked her head to the side while she tasted it, then nodded! She ate the rest of the slice happily. Now I've become addicted to asking her questions. "Do you want your snack?" Nod. "Do you want to crawl up the stairs?" Nod. "Do you need a diaper change?" Nod. "Are you sleepy?" Nod. "Do you want to take a nap?" Vigorous head shaking. The cutest thing she's done so far with our new communication system is that we were reading Goodnight Gorilla and I asked her if the Gorilla was going to let out the Armadillo. She nodded yes and then turned the page where, indeed, the Armadillo was the last in line following the zookeeper to his house! I used the book to get her to take a nap like the Gorilla. Hopefully it will work, that would be so cool! This is like the most amazing and the weirdest thing ever. I have confirmed she actually understands me. The strange thing is that now that she actually understands me, I feel weird, like I can't just babble incessantly. I did ask her if she felt that the US should be dealing directly with Poland on the missile defense system and she didn't have a response and actually threw a fit. So I don't know if that's a yes, no or a "I don't understand you so I'm going to get really frustrated!"


Toddlers totally rock!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Uh-oh, she might catch on that Mommy is a little nutters!