Thursday, June 28, 2007

Restaurant Meme

Kelli tagged me for this one and dammit, even though my child is pulling every book off the shelf and we could have a showing any minute, I'm going to do it. I cannot resist being tagged!

Here are the rules of this meme:
1. Link to name of person that tagged you.
2. Include state and country you live in.
3. List top 5 favorite local restaurants.
4. Tag 5 other people and let them know they’ve been tagged.

I live in Austin, Texas, USA, ya'll! When I moved to Austin to start college, I noticed that there is a plethora of locally owned restaurants. So Tim and I pledged to try and forgo the chain restaurants in favor of eating locally. We usually succeed, except for fast food, although we try to get P. Terry's whenever feasible.

1. Hill's Cafe. The best country-fried steak EVER! Plus they have Shiner on tap (actually they had a Hefefeisen on tap last time I went which is even better), and DE-licious yeast rolls and sour cream butter. They used to have great cornbread, but sadly got rid of it several years ago. They also have fantastic steaks and barbecue.

2. Kerbey Lane. My favorite are the pancakes. No the Paris, Texas Platter which has migas and french toast. No the omelets. No the salads. I just can't decide! So Austin, complete with waitresses so tattooed that they shocked my mother, and open 24 hours a day, 8 days a week, 365 days a year!

3. Thai Passion. Love that Tai! Don't get there much anymore these days, but when I worked downtown, it was a favorite for whole office lunches.

4. Sarovar. Yummy Indian food. You can pick the level of spice you want, which they usually get right. Although I did "medium" when I was 8.5 months pregnant with Stella and I thought I was going to die they got it so hot. It was hotter than Tim's "hot"! I had the worst heartburn of my life, although it just proves that spicy things do not necessarily bring on labor.

5. Freddie's. The best burgers in town, which you can enjoy under the trees on their beautiful S. 1st patio. Also have $2 Lone Star Tall Boys, which makes it even better!

Special Local Fast Food Honorable Mention:
P. Terry's: Healthy, delicious fast food on Lamar near Barton Springs. Great lemonade too!
Dan's Hamburgers: Only take cash, which stinks, always crowded, but the best greasy burger and fries you ever tasted. Plus great shakes and malts! First had them as a child when we came here for vacation and have loved them ever since.

I tag Tim, Ashley, Tara, Erin, and Marsha because it's been too long since she posted!

No comments: