Monday, April 06, 2009

A big difference between mothering one and mothering two


-This morning I chose reading "If I Ran the Zoo" to Stella over getting a little more much-needed sleep. (Hence the 2nd cup of coffee I am enjoying right now.)
-I let the dishes sit in the sink, or the floor go unvacuumed and play with my eldest daughter.
-If she asks me to do something with her, as long as I'm not feeding Etta, I do it. Not in five minutes, not later, but then.

And Stella is happy with these little interactions, even if they only last the length of a book. She understands Mommy is busy with Etta a lot of the time, and just spending a few minutes reading to Stella or playing with her or talking with her, is enough to make her feel special. That's awesome.

I guess I'm just saying that I value my relationship with her even more than I did before. Friday we went shopping, just the two of us, and had such a nice time. Even though we could only go for about an hour because Etta never stops eating;) Stella tried on clothes in the dressing room for the first time "because she's a big girl" (as she said). And Saturday, all three of us had breakfast tacos and just hung out enjoying the chatterings of a 3-year-old while Etta slept in the pack n' play in another room.

I think our lives may get a bit more messy, but it's going to be worth every speck of dust:)

(Of course, next week my fantastic, stupendous, wonderful, beautiful, sisters, Caroline and Christine, are getting me a maid. A MAID! YAY! So we're just doing the bare minimum not to drown in clutter, but leaving any big jobs for then. And my mother is here again this week, vaccuuming while I speak so I can sit and write this post, plus Tim has been wonderful about cleaning too, so we've been very fortunate!)

I cannot tell you how happy I am to be a family of 4. It's like my heart swelled again and I have more love and more happiness than I ever thought possible. I'm such a blessed and lucky woman!

3 comments:

Tara said...

This reminds me of a needlepoint that hangs in my dad's house, and has since I was a kid. I think my mom may have done it, but I'm not positive anymore. Even before I wanted kids I've always really liked the poem on it. This is how I remember it going:

"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait til tomorrow
For children go up we've learned to our sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep."

Anonymous said...

They do though. I've never seen a spoiled baby.

Unknown said...

Our house is pretty much a mess all the time. Livable, just messy. It's just the way it is. Some other things gotta come first.