Saturday, February 09, 2008

A Minivan one could actually almost drive

So I am still in denial of the inevitability that one day I will be driving a minivan*. I just think they are the saddest cars and scream "I'm a parent and have given up all my own dreams and aspirations to shuttle my children around in an ugly box." But VW is coming out with the Routan and it looks pretty sweet. Check out the interior. And according to the VW site, it is available in orange. If I could get a cool color that might mitigate the fact that I'd be driving a 'gulp' minivan. Shudder. Let's just hope VW can be bothered to give a hoot about MPG so that I won't have to fill up every two feet.

*Seriously, one day. Don't fear that I am running out to get the mommy-mobile tomorrow or anything folks!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Well, my two choices for a non-Beetle (should I ever trade her in) are a Mini Cooper (we have a friend with a child seat in his) or a station wagon. Hello, Carol Brady. It's a hard thing to find a vehicle that isn't a big American sedan or a gigantic SUV that needs to be refueled in-flight.

Seriously, I was at the gas station recently and a woman with a Suburban exclaimed, "That was just 99 dollars!" And she had one teenager in the car with her. Maybe I just couldn't see the 6 carseats. I've really tried to be less judgmental lately. I'm not a parent, but I wonder about what kind of car payment that might mean and the gas! I know we couldn't afford it.

So, what are the other options? Somehow I got sent a link to Car & Caboodle and they have all kinds of car info and gear for parents. I don't know how useful it will be to you, but I thought I'd pass it along.