Thursday, March 01, 2007

Right then, Tallyho back into Acting!

So I got cast in Anton in Showbusiness, but only because my friend Nicole had to pass on the roles because of an illness. I'm okay with that, being someone's "2nd choice" doesn't really hurt my feelings. Some of my best roles have come from someone else dropping out. I am quite nervous though, because one of the roles I'm playing, Ben, a male country singer, has a kissing heading towards making out scene with a woman. So I'm nervous about that, as I didn't go through that phase in college and so have never mugged down with another woman. And it will be doubly weird because I will be playing a man mugging down with a woman. Really odd. But, quite frankly, I'm a bit surprised I've been in theatre this long without kissing a woman. There are a LOT of plays with girl on girl action for some reason. I mentioned this to Tim and his first response was the typical guy one, "Of course I wouldn't have a problem with that, that's hot." I'm pretty sure he was joking. His second response was, "I think it would be easier than kissing a guy, since you aren't attracted to women." He has a point there. I think I would have a hard time doing the scene with a man, too. But I do think it would be easier, as I have a frame of reference, and it would be at least slightly less awkward. Oh, well, it's only one scene. Surely I'll be able to do it with aplomb. Although, Tim was like, "I want to see how they make you look like a man since you aren't even remotely manly." Yeah, that should be interesting!
In other news, Stella has started throwing very dramatic temper tantrums. If I pick her up to feed her or move her when she does not want me to, she starts bucking her whole body back and forth and crying. It's just peachy. I guess this is what life with a toddler is like.
CLARIFICATION: Kelli brought up a good point, I didn't explain why I was playing a man. All the roles in the play are portrayed by women, it's written in the script that way. So in addition to the male country singer, I'm playing a gay male costume designer and one female role, a lesbian producer.

2 comments:

mamashine said...

I don't know the play at all. Curious as to why they're casting you as a man to begin with? Because Tim's right, you don't look remotely manly. Is that part of the show or something?

Joni McClain said...

YAY JULIE! I love Anton, would love to direct myself! Congratulations. Oh, and... erm, girls are cool to kiss. But, well, that's just me...

Heh...