Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Cable vs Satellite and DSL

So this post might be easily classified as boring beyond all belief, but this is where my head is right now. We are seriously considering switching from the Time Warner behemoth to the AT&T behemoth plus satellite through DirectTV when we get into the new house. The savings are enormous, like $50 a month! Anybody have any experience with this? We've never even had the opportunity to try DSL before because we've never been in the service area. And I always bought into the cable propaganda about satellite going out in rainstorms, which apparently is much rarer than Time Warner would lead you to believe. And they have local channels, unlike what the cable consortium tells you. I just don't think the combo of Cable phone/internet/tv is so great that it's worth $50 more a month than the combo of Landline/DSL/satellite.

The other thing on my mind is closing costs. Our mortgage company STILL has not gotten that estimate to me. I'm really annoyed because our loan officer is really hard to get a hold of. So I left her a message and should expect a call back God only knows when. She was supposed to call me back yesterday after checking on it, but of course, no call back. She's very nice when she does call, just impossible to get a hold of. I just want to plan. I am a planner and since we don't have the moolah back from Newmark yet, I need to know exactly how much we need to close to be sure we have it. And the time I really have to spend on this stuff is when Stella is asleep, so it'd nice if she called now. I'm debating over calling her cell, but for some reason I feel really bad doing that. It's right there on her business card, so I really shouldn't, but I can't help it. It feels too much like calling someone at home.

5 comments:

Kate said...

We have U-verse and love it! Comcast is the devil and we're so glad to be rid of them. Plus, it's much cheaper. We have internet and digital cable with loads of channels for a lot less than we were paying for slow internet and regular cable. We love it! Every so often the DVR reboots itself, but nothing too annoying. Weather Channel isn't local, but everything else is.

If you put your cell number on your business card that means that people can/should call you on it.

Kate said...

We have U-verse and love it! Comcast is the devil and we're so glad to be rid of them. Plus, it's much cheaper. We have internet and digital cable with loads of channels for a lot less than we were paying for slow internet and regular cable. We love it! Every so often the DVR reboots itself, but nothing too annoying. Weather Channel isn't local, but everything else is.

If you put your cell number on your business card that means that people can/should call you on it.

Joni McClain said...

I dunno Julie... we have Satellite and yeah, it does go out when it rains. Just about every time. And once you're a faithful customer, they're done with you. We wanted to upgrade to HD -- the cost is more than we'd pay for cable. We've been customers for eight years, and, even as professional sellers and buyers who wheel and deal daily neither Leanne nor I could talk them into any sort of deal that came close to what they offer new customers or what Time Warner was offering us as new customers.

Just something to think about...

Unknown said...

hey,

Did you ever go with the satellite dish? Or DSL? I am curious. We have DSL at work and I have not noticed any unusual problems. My current cable provider is Charter Communications and they are the absolute worst. Voted worst bundle...Last in costumer service etc. see here www.askbigfoot.com the Better Business Bureau even has a chapter on them. With the satellite dish I believe the problems with the rain vary from person to person and its not like cable companies dont have their problems with outages. I would go with a bundle of internet/tv from a company like Dish Network or Directv and someone like Vonage for the phone. Hope this is of some help.

Unknown said...

I really do prefer satellite over the other competitors. I've had horrible experiences with cable companies that I had to get out and see what else was out there in TV. I found this site www.BestTVForMe.com that does all the comparisons of all the major cable and satellite providers out there. I came to find that DISH Network was what I was looking for so I immediately made the switch over. Now, I've been subscribing and working with them now for a while now and absolutely love my services!