Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Stella at 6 months


We had Stella's six month checkup today. Everything's still fine, but the doctor wants us to up our solid feeding to 3 times a day. Fun, it's already a challenge to get 2 in! Stella is 26 1/4 in. long (75th percentile), 16 lbs 9.6 oz (just below 75th) and 42 cm head circumference (25-50%). Apparently the doc thinks they just over-stretched her at her first visit, which is why she started in the 90th percentile on height. Too bad, I was expecting her to be longer. Don't know why I get such pleasure out of having a big baby, but I do. So the doc gently admonished us to give Stella more sitting up and tummy time to round out the right side of her head and to feed her more solids. She said that you shouldn't need to be breastfeeding every 3 hours anymore at this age, apparently only feeding 4-5 times a day. I don't think I believe that, but I do agree Stella needs more food. And I would not complain if it meant she needed to be fed less often. And slept longer at night. The doc said that once they have teeth, they don't want to them to be fed at night because the milk stays in their mouth and can cause cavities. I knew that was a problem with babies being put to bed with a bottle, but I didn't know it was a problem with breastfed babies. Sometimes I think the docs just make up new things for us parents to worry about. Stella also got her vaccines, plus the flu shot. She's out like a light right now. I expect that to last a while. After her last vaccines, I think she took a 3 hour nap!

No comments: